NCAH engages in participatory policy setting to develop the policy agenda each year. NCAH collects policy recommendations from residents across the state and presents them to partners for discussion. Everyone is welcome to submit policy recommendations and participate in the discussion and approval of policy priorities.
Our partners have selected commercial tobacco use prevention and cessation, healthy food access, active living, and cross-cutting priorities as the primary areas of focus for NCAH.Download 2023 Policy Priorities
NCAH tracks many bills throughout the legislative session. Tracking a bill does not indicate NCAH’s support or opposition.
2023 Policy Priorities
Commercial Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation
- Promote a policy that establishes a tobacco retailer permitting system and raises the minimum legal age to purchase tobacco from 18 to 21
- Promote increased and recurring appropriations for robust and evidence-based tobacco prevention and cessation programs and services
Healthy Food Access
- Promote policies that increase access to healthy food in schools and childcare centers, such as school meals for all and farm-to-school policies
- Support passage of federal legislation such as Child Nutrition Reauthorization and the Farm Bill
- Promote recurring, permanent appropriations to establish the North Carolina Safe Routes to School program as a permanent program within NCDOT
- Promote the restoration of Master’s pay for teachers, including Physical Education and Health teachers
- Support funding mechanisms that allow local communities to promote access to routine physical activity, including safe bicycle and pedestrian access
- Support policies and appropriations for increasing access to care, including closing the health insurance coverage gap and increasing access to mental health services
- Support policies that identify barriers to health and reduce health inequities, including policies related to housing, transportation, environmental toxins, access to personal hygiene products, and equitable pay and leave
- Support policies that maintain and restore local control
NCAH may also support other mission-related policies as they arise.