2017 Obesity Prevention Policy Priorities
- Healthy Food Financing: Promote the elimination of food deserts in North Carolina through statewide, evidence-based and/or evidence-informed policies and appropriations for healthy food financing and corner store initiatives that improve access to healthy foods (including fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins).
- Seek an appropriation of $1 million in recurring state funds to create or expand a Healthy Corner Store Initiative that increases the amount of healthy food being offered in existing corner stores in low and moderate income communities.
- Physical Activity and Physical Education: Promote the inclusion of PE in the state’s accountability system as a measure of school success and/or in the School Report Card.
- Water Access: Support efforts to ensure water is free, clean, safe, and accessible in school and childcare center settings.
- Built Environments: Support the ability of local communities to promote access to routine physical activity and healthy eating through active transportation, complete streets, and Safe Routes to School policies, including multi-modal transportation infrastructure (e.g., mass transit, sidewalks, bike lanes), recreation opportunities (e.g., parks, trails greenways, shared and open use policies), food venues (e.g., grocery stores, farmers’ markets, community gardens), and the integration of healthy land use (“sustainable communities”).
- Healthy Restaurant Meals: Monitor efforts to ensure all restaurant meals sold as children’s meals meet nutrition standards.
- Worksite Wellness: Support evidence-based and/or evidence-informed policies that promote a healthy work environment for employees.
- Early Care and Education: Support improvement of the statewide nutrition, physical activity, and screen time standards, and the creation of recognition or designation programs that meet evidence-based and/or evidence-informed policies.
- Out-of-School Time: Support funding to implement and monitor out-of-school time programs.
- School Foods: Monitor the implementation of policies that require all foods and beverages available in schools meet national nutrition guidelines and are fully funded. Support policies identified to reduce exposure to marketing and advertising of unhealthy foods in schools.
- Support and protect funding for evidence-based and/or evidence-informed obesity prevention programs and infrastructure.
Promote: Actively advocate for
Support: Sign letters of support, forward action alerts
Monitor: Track and react to as necessary
Download NCAH’s 2017 Obesity Prevention Policy Priorities