The NC General Assembly returns to Raleigh today to pass a third COVID-19 relief package. The bill which will be amended to the “Coronavirus Relief Act 3.0,” is the only bill we expect to move over the next two days. Below is a list of provisions relevant to NCAH’s mission.
- $6M for NC Feeding the Carolinas food banks
- $1M will go to Reinvestment Partners to expand the produce prescription program
- $10.25M to NCDACS for meat and seafood processing
- $20M to DPI to provide PPE for public schools
- $2M to NCDACS for emergency support for milk producers
- $750K to NCDACS to provide emergency aid for farmers market operators and local food enterprises
- $2.1M to DNCR to address needs at state parks and trails
- $1M to Alamance-Burlington Schools for school nutrition, transportation, and other services
- $600K to NCDHHS to increase access to Food and Nutrition Services for individuals who are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid
- $100K to Food for Families
- $300K to NCDHHS to establish a student health collaborative pilot
- $30M for the GREAT program to increase access to broadband
- Flexibility for schools to use funds in the transportation allotment for school nutrition and remote instruction
- “Hold harmless” clause for schools that had a discrepancy in anticipated and actual average daily membership
While this session will be short, we anticipate that the NCGA will return again in October to appropriate additional funds, and hopefully address some statutory changes. As always, we will keep you updated.
Join us for our upcoming committee meetings to discuss our 2021 policy agenda and opportunities for legislative long session. Register below.
Active Living Committee Meeting
Tobacco Use Prevention Committee Meeting