A Budget Is Coming
There haven’t been many updates this session, because there hasn’t been a lot to give updates on. The House and Senate have been passing bills, most of which were bipartisan, fairly non-controversial.
Aside from a few bills with funding provisions, we hadn’t seen many appropriations. That seems like it is about to change. House and Senate leadership are meeting today to finalize the spending package, and we expect to see what’s in it later this week. We don’t have many details yet, but here is what we are hoping to see:
- $5 million to eliminate the reduced-price lunch copay
- Funding for food banks
- Funding for school nutrition programs
- No cuts to tobacco cessation services
In addition to appropriations, NCAH has been advocating for and following a number of bills this legislative session. Here are a few that are making their way through the legislative process:
- H1129 – UI Program Integrity/Temp. ABAWD Time Waivers – Passed House – Allows DHHS to apply for a waiver to the SNAP time-limit rule for able-bodied adults without dependents for one year
- S808 – Medicaid Funding Act – Medicaid Transformation funding
As always, we will keep you posted as we learn more.