In case you missed it, we’ve got quite a buffet of resources when it comes to school meals.
Catching Up on School Meals: For the past 2 years, all students have received school meals at no cost thanks to federal USDA waivers during the COVID-19 pandemic. But those waivers expired on June 30. What does this mean for school meals in North Carolina?
In our FWIW (For What It’s Worth) blog series, we are attempting to break down the intricacies and confusion around school meals and hopefully shed light on the “worth” of school meals. The school meals program is extremely complicated so we are taking bite-sized portions and serving them up each week. You can catch up on the past blog posts below and look for a new topic next week!
- How School Meals Are Funded
- How School Meals Are Reimbursed
- Household Meal Application
- Community Eligibility Provision
- National School Lunch Program and National School Lunch Week
- Meals Matter: The Community Eligibility Provision and Student Success in North Carolina: This brief describes the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) and looks at differences in student outcomes between schools with similar income levels that do and don’t participate in CEP
- UNC Public Policy Capstone Project: School Meal Funding: This report was authored by five senior undergraduate students in the Department of Public Policy at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, to fulfill their Senior Capstone requirement. The team worked with NCAH to assess school nutrition funding models and provide a recommendation for North Carolina.
Webinars & Podcasts:
- School Meals 101: In this recorded webinar, Marianne and Katie break down school meals and their funding.
- Voices of Hunger in NC: This podcast series, presented by the NC Alliance for Health and MomsRising, explores food, hunger, and equity in North Carolina.
The North Carolina Alliance for Health is working to ensure that every student at every public school benefits from school meals for all. If you’re interested in learning more, sign up for our School Meals for All Campaign or visit http://schoolmealsforallnc.org/.