- Healthy Food Financing: Promote the elimination of food deserts in North Carolina through statewide, evidence-based and/or evidence-informed policies and appropriations for healthy food financing, corner store initiatives, and other policies that improve access to healthy foods (including fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins), including food and nutrition services and nutrition education.
- Seek an appropriation of $1 million in recurring state funds to expand the Healthy Food Small Retailer Program that increases the amount of healthy food being offered in existing corner stores in low- and moderate-income communities.
- Physical Activity and Physical Education: Promote the inclusion of PE in the state’s accountability system as a measure of school success and/or in the School Report Card. Promote policies that address standards-based curriculum, appropriate professional development for teachers, teacher certification/licensing, waivers/substitution, student assessment, and accountability. Support opportunities to engage in promoting physical activity.
- Water Access: Support efforts to ensure water is free, clean, safe, and accessible in school and childcare center settings.
- Built Environments: Support the ability of local communities to promote access to routine physical activity and healthy eating through active transportation, complete streets, and Safe Routes to School policies, including multi-modal transportation infrastructure (e.g., mass transit, sidewalks, bike lanes), recreation opportunities (e.g., parks, trails greenways, shared and open use policies), food venues (e.g., grocery stores, farmers’ markets, community gardens), and the integration of healthy land use (“sustainable communities”).
- Worksite Wellness: Support evidence-based and/or evidence-informed policies that promote a healthy work environment for employees.
- Early Care and Education: Support improvements to statewide standards addressing evidence-based best practices in infant and child nutrition, outdoor learning and play, physical activity, breastfeeding, and screen time. Support the creation of statewide designation or recognition to programs that meet best practices.
- Out-of-School Time: Support funding to implement and monitor healthy eating and physical activity in out-of-school time programs.
- School Foods: Support the implementation of policies that require all foods and beverages available in schools meet national nutrition guidelines and be fully-funded. Support policies identified to reduce exposure to marketing and advertising of unhealthy foods in schools. Support policies that expand farm-to-school and farm-to-childcare programs.
- Support and protect funding for evidence-based and/or evidence-informed obesity prevention programs and infrastructure.
Promote: Actively advocate for
Support: Sign letters of support, forward action alerts
Monitor: Track and react to as necessary