NCAH also advocates for legislation allowing local communities and community colleges to pass ordinances and regulations to eliminate exposure to secondhand smoke in worksites.
- Stuck in Neutral: Stalled Progress in Statewide Comprehensive Smoke-Free Laws and Cigarette Excise Taxes, United States, 2000–2014
- Electronic Smoking Devises and Smokefree Laws
- Electronic Smoking Devices and Secondhand Aerosol
- The Success of North Carolina’s Smoke-Free Bars and Restaurants Law
- Tobacco-free Community Colleges
Smoke-Free Public Housing
On Thursday, November 12, 2015, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced a proposed rule to make the nation’s public housing properties entirely smoke-free. The proposed smoke-free rule and other materials from the Department of Public and Indian Housing can be found here. Talking points on the proposed rule can be found here.
As we await the release of the final rule, the NC Tobacco Prevention and Control Branch is offering a train-the-trainer webinar series for public health staff.
*Please note to view the webinar you will need to register.
- October 13 – Anna Stein, JD, MPH, Legal Specialist, Chronic Disease and Injury Section, NC Division of Public Health, Preparing for HUD’s Smoke-Free Housing Rule
- Rescheduled for December 6 – Lucretia Hoffman, MPH, MBA, Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities, NC Division of Public Health, Implicit Bias and Cultural Competency: Preparing to Engage Residents
- January 12 – Cornell P. Wright, MPA, Executive Director, Office of Minority Health and Health Disparities, NC Division of Public Health, Community Engagement and Cultural Humility: How to Engage Residents
- February 9 – Michael Scott, CHES, Network Coordinator, National African American Tobacco Prevention Network, Pathways to Freedom: Tailored Tobacco Cessation Resources for African Americans
- March 9 – Tamara Atkinson, MSW, LCSW, Tobacco Treatment Specialist, Tobacco Prevention and Control Branch, The Spirit of Motivational Interviewing: Fostering Collaboration and Support