Obesity Prevention Policy Priorities:
· Schools: Promote the implementation of policies that require all foods and beverages available in schools meet national nutrition guidelines and are fully funded. Advocate for policies identified to reduce exposure to marketing and advertising of unhealthy foods in schools.
· Communities: Promote the elimination of food deserts in North Carolina through statewide policies and appropriations for healthy food financing and corner store initiatives that improve access to healthy foods (including fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean proteins).
- Physical Activity/Physical Education: Promote the implementation of quality, comprehensive Physical Education (PE) statewide according to national PE standards set by the National Association for Sport and Physical Education (NASPE).
- Worksite Wellness: Support policies which promote a healthy work environment for employees.
§ Support the adoption and implementation of evidence-based procurement standards for food sold or offered in state government venues.
§ Support the implementation of evidence-based guidelines for healthy eating options for the Legislative Building cafeteria and/or snack bar.
- Built Environments: Promote the ability of local communities to support routine physical activity and healthy eating through built environment supports, including multi-modal transportation infrastructure (eg. mass transit, sidewalks, bike lanes), recreation opportunities (eg. parks, trails greenways), and food venues (eg. grocery stores, farmers' markets, community gardens). Support the integration of healthy land use (“sustainable communities”) and multi-modal transportation options (“complete streets” policies).
§ Monitor & support the development of Depart. of Transportation’s Complete Streets Initiative
§ Monitor and support the work of the Sustainability Task Force.
- Support funding for evidence-based obesity prevention programs.
Legislative Childhood Obesity Task Force Report
Click here to view Task Force Recommendations